Monday, November 12, 2007

Yorktown Va, July 11th/ 62

Dear Parent

It is with much pleasure that I sit down this morn to write a few lines to you my helth is (illegible) this summer. it has been considirarble time since I have herd from you but dont expect it is because you do not write for me do not get hardley any male of late I have not had a letter for the last 15 days we generaly get 1 or 2 leters a day it is getting to be quite warm here now but it has rained so much of late that we have been nearly a float. I have not been with the battery of late but at the south (illegible) battery with a detachment of men to see (illegible) this batery. There is no other troops her now but Wistlars Brigade they ar all in side of this fort and the one on the (illegible) side of the river. Gen (Fastor?) was here to day they had a review I did not have to go out with the rest (illegible name) her is our future Commander. This Fort is quite large mounds 109 guns I have not herd from Ed or (illegible name) in considerable time. (illegible) they (illegible...) they had those fights please write if you have herd from them there is no more to write from here therfore I shall have to close. I remain as ever your afectionate Son Sylvester L. French

(illegible) 16th (illegible) Battery
Wislars Brigade
York Town Va

in care of capt F S. Hiller

No comments: