Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The home of a soldier in a hickory grave, 1861

(illegible) (illegible) after i received your leter and was glad to here from you. we ar all well and enjoy ourselves first but (illegible) (illegible) and he died night before last with the typhoid fever we ar about 8 miles from washington city we came here yesterday al we ar to have for breakfast this morning is crackers and cofe- dont you wish you could have some thing as good as that. wee ar right in the land of rebels but we do not fear them half as much now as we did when we wer at home. I supose you think that we dred to gow into a batel that is not sow. I have lost all fear of the rebels or of gowing into a batel. I tried to get out of camp and and get my likness taken to send home but I could not. Mr Case is a gowing to start for home this morning. I would like to cum with him so I could see youur litel sister if you get time cum down some after noon and make (two illegible words and letter is physically cut off)
last night we had to sleap on the ground with a blanket around us. per haps you think that you think that we wer cold but we was not I had a great deal. rather sleep out dores than in a house. i would like to gow in to your (illegible) and help keepe the py and sweat cake from spoiling. I cannot think (illegible) to right while wee pin down (illegible) (illegible) (illegible). I will stay by wishing you a long and (the rest of the letter is completely illegible, sorry)

No comments: