Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Bunkerhill Berkley, Va., Sunday March the 9th/ 62

Dear Father

I am glad that I have the privelege of once more writing to you I am well to day we received a leter from you today and we wer very glad to here from you. you spoke about what I wanted you to do with that plase I hardley know what to tell you but is things have taken such a change and I am here and likley to bee for a while I want you should get rid of it some way if you can and if no other way let it go back into gelatts' hands. you say you have had plenty of snow this winter last sabbath it snowed here a very litle but to day there is not a (might?) os snow to bee seen to day. we ar in 12 miles of Winchester and we expect to march against it in a few days but we do not know for certain we hear that the best work around Winchester ar Barells filled with sand and dirt piled up on the outside and a (stick?) of timber on the top. We have 148 pieces of Artillery within 10 or 15 miles of Winchester and more on the way here. Some say the (illegible) is to starve the Rebels out of Winchester. Others say we ar to march on in a fiew days and take it! So you see we do not know one minute what wee ar to doo the next we have expected to have a battle so many times and wer disapointed that we do not expect to (illegible) bee in a battle

M L French

direct your letters to Williamsport

No comments: