Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Warrenton junction V.a., Apr. the 19th 1862

Afectionate parents

I am well and enjoying life first but I receievd a letter from you some some time ago I could not get time to answer it for we have been on the road nearly evry day (illegible) yesterday we had a litle fight at the rappohanock River we opend fire to a rebel fort acros the River with 6 guns the second shot taking afect in the Magazin so consiquently a (illegible) took plase and who wer not killed left on double quick about this time three Masked Batterys opened on us filling the ir with shot and sell and in 15 minutes 2 of them wer silens and the shot from the others did not rech us so the Colonel orderd us to ceas firing and we returned to Camp with one wounded in the foot and 2 Caisons slightly damaged 1 of them being mine it was hit by a six lb. ball on the amunition box but glanest of. the 6th Pa Regiment is 1 1/2 mile from us I am a going to see the (illegible) this after noon. we have not seen them synce last October if you know whare Sylvester is pleas let me know for wee have not herd from him synce he left Binghampton (NY) if you can I wish you would tak 1 dolar of my money and get some postag stamps and send me

-M. L. French

(P.S.) you nead not send the stamps for the Captain says he will get us some

Direct to Washington D. C.

No comments: