Monday, November 12, 2007

Camp Curtin, Oct. 4 1863

Father this morning findes all of the Jackson boys well myself with the rest. We received our uniforms day befor yester day and our bounty to. Enclosed I send you my check of $40. you can keep it until I write what to do with it. we had orders this morning to go on (illegible) guard at 10 o'clock and be reddy for duty at 12 o'clock. For these reasons I cant write much this time.
I have just got in from guar-de duty. It is now three o'clock we shall have to go on guarde at 6 o'clock to night. we shall not stay here long for the regts (regiments) are nearly ready to be organized. when they are we shall leave here for some place unknown to me.

Yours with respect
E. A. French
Harrisburg
Camp Curtin, Penn.

You will find my Notes in my trunk

P.S. Father I should like to have you send me a silk pocket hankerchief you can take two Newspapers and doo the hankerchief w/ in them they will come just as well with that in them as with out it and I want you to send some (illegible) and paper as you have a chance to in news papers but I have an cough at present but don't want to by any more here it is so high and is not much better than (illegible) paper. It has (illegible) all night and there is considerable snow on the ground but the sun has come and warmed and the snow will bee gon. I did think of sending this by Mr. Wright but shall not. Please write some as convenient.

Your ever afectionate son

E. A. French

No comments: