Monday, November 12, 2007

Camp Barre, Washington D.C., December 8th 1862

Folks at home

this after noon findes me about one third of a mile East of the Capital enjoying myself as well as ever. We struck tents in Camp McClellan Thursday morning at four o'clock there was several of us detailed to take charge of the bagage. I was one of them, the Company started for harrisburg. I stayed and loded two four horse teams with boxes barrels. We then tooch four horses went to Harrisburg unloded the goods then loded them onto the cars and the Company loded the horses this to til night. About dark we started for Baltimore. arrived there about daylight the next morning. Soon after we left harrisburg I got on a pile of tents in the car and slept verry sound all night. the next morning I found myself in the Sity of Baltimore. Soon after day light the Company got into line and started for the soldiers retreat to get their Breakfast and I stay-ed with the cars. The cars that contained the Camp (illegible) wer drawn through the sity with horses the Company toock their horses off from the cars and rode them through the sity to the next train. About noon it commensed to snow and left it up until night. we got through the sity and the horses loded ready to start a little after dark. I had the advantage of the other Boys for I did not have to get out of the cars in all day and they got very wet before night. Then they got into some freight cars and started for Washinton. They had a stove in the car. The car that was I was in did not have any fire in and I had to get up several time before morning and stomp my feet to keep from freezing them. We got to Washington about one o'clock the next morning but I did not get out of the car until morning. Then the Capt. sent men to releave us long enough to go to the Soldiers retreat and get something to eat. This is a large building with stationary tables enough to feed eight or nine hundred men to at a time. We got Colde Bread and meat and hot Coffee. I tell you that I was not very backward in taking about three pints boles full of it and a large chunk of soft Bread for I had not had any time to eat but hard crackers from Thursday morning til Saturday morning and nothing to drink but Cold Coffee and water. After I had drank that bit of coffee I went back to the car. then they (illegible) the cars down into the Sity there we unloaded the things into the (illegible) there I sat until most night. Not a verry nice job I tell you. But I am good for it. It is quite cool here now the ground is frozen about three inches deep and there is a little snow here now. but I dont think it will stay long. I have not been into the Sity Since I came here but I think that I shall go down and see Old the one of these days.

The Jackson boys are all right. Write soon.

Respects to all inquireing friends.

E. A. French


Direct to E. A French
Wasington DC
Co. B. 17 Regt. Penn. Cavaly
Care of Capt D. E. Whitney

No comments: