Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Purpose.

This is a personal project suggested to me by my stepfather. When my Grandfather died, we found a small cedar chest, about the size of a shoe box, mixed in with his belongings. Inside was a collection of 12 letters written by a northern soldier during the Civil War. In subsequent postings, you will see some very well known names. I also want to say that there will be several grammatical errors in these postings. They are in no way an assessment of the author's intelligence, or mine for that matter. They are simply the words of a young, uneducated soldier from small-town Pennsylvania, fighting to preserve his country. There will also be parts that are omitted. This is in no way a form of censorship. A century and a half of sitting in a wooden box has deteriorated some of the words to the extent they can not be read, but I will try very hard to get the necessary parts, and correct my postings as time goes on. I think these letters truly present a different history than what we have all been taught, and I feel it is very important to get this information out before the letters fall apart. Thanks, and enjoy :)

No comments: